Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20709 Discussions

Virtual Pin Assignments -- does Value=Off/On imply logic 0/1 for pin?

Steve-Mowbray-ENL
New Contributor I

Probably dumb question but does setting a virtual pin value to ON imply that it will be at logic 1 state in the compiled design during user mode? For instance vpin1=1'b1 and vpin2=1'b0 resulting from the below assignments:

set_instance_assignment -name VIRTUAL_PIN ON -to vpin1
set_instance_assignment -name VIRTUAL_PIN OFF -to vpin2

If not how do we set a run-time state for virtual pins?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
virtual pin assignment removes a top entity port pint from the actual port list.
You can assign an initial value to the pin to achieve what you want.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

No.  As stated, setting a top-level signal with the VIRTUAL_PIN assignment ON means that that signal will be routed to a logic "stub" in the FPGA fabric instead of to an I/O pin.  This is usually used if you don't yet know what specific I/O pin you want to use, but you don't want the compiler to optimize away the signal because it's not connected to anything.  There's even a quick video on this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QET0lC-jdAQ

0 Kudos
Steve-Mowbray-ENL
New Contributor I

Hi sstrell -- thanks I watched that video before posting but did not pick up what the port logic value used by the compiled design when running would be -- my questions arising are:

• does default port value method suggested by FvM put a fixed know value for the virtual pin port signal?
  • what happens if you set the virtual pin value to OFF instead of ON?
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

1) Value will be low at configuration on most devices as it is with all other signals (presuming you are talking about an input, not an output, here).  On Stratix 10, you can initialize signals to high on configuration.  

2) Not much.  You're basically saying the signal must be attached to a pin location, and if it's not, it could get optimized away.

0 Kudos
Steve-Mowbray-ENL
New Contributor I

not sure I fully understand 1) above with respect to FvM suggestion -- here is my thinking thus far:

in QSF settings file:

set_instance_assignment -name VIRTUAL_PIN ON -to vpin1

in top level entity:

module top
(
input vpin1=1'b1
);
// vpin1 will act as a constant logic 1 value in module body...
endmodule

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

All register outputs default low when the device is configured/programmed.  Here you are tying an input high so it will be pulled up after programming.  In Stratix 10 (Agilex too maybe), register outputs can be programmed to be high.

0 Kudos
Steve-Mowbray-ENL
New Contributor I

Ok I think I understand -- it is user mode behaviour Im trying to figure -- basically I want that virtual (input) pin to be a known fixed state low or high when used by the compiled design in full operation user mode

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So why does it need to be a virtual pin at all instead of just setting signals high?  Virtual pins are designed to be placeholders that will eventually connect to an actual pin.  If you just need a logic level, just use "assign" statements.

0 Kudos
Steve-Mowbray-ENL
New Contributor I

yes it is a placeholder that will eventually connect to an actual pin but I need the default state to be known in the meantime

0 Kudos
Steve-Mowbray-ENL
New Contributor I

Hi FvM -- ok that makes sense and more specifically implies SV 2009 or later (for default port values) -- I will try

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Hi there, may I know why you need to know the initial value of the virtual pins. Do you need to do simulation?

Virtual pin usually used to do some optimization in timing and resources usage, so normally it won't be the final version of your design.

0 Kudos
Steve-Mowbray-ENL
New Contributor I

top level file is reused between multiple projects on different target hardware -- we can reuse the top level file with virtual pins on lesser hardware so long as the state of the virtual pin is fixed known in the lesser hardware project -- improved hardware will have the pin as physical and the state will come from external source

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

I found the following information which may provide reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000073765.html

0 Kudos