Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

using cy7c68013a with cyclone II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo, 

I'm new in this forum and I searching for my topic, but I don't find anything and so I open a new thread. 

My questions is: Has anybody some experience with the usb- controller cy7c68013a and the cyclone II. I try to comunicate with the pc from a cyclone II niosII system, like uart. My problem at the first time ist that I can't initialize it. 

Can anybody give me some help or some sources of documents where I can read something about it? 

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I try to comunicate with the pc from a cyclone II niosII system, like uart. 

--- Quote End ---  

Through cy7c68013a? Which firmware have you loaded to the 68013 "EZ-USB" controller? You also need a driver at the PC side. Have you got the Cycpress EZ-USB development resources?  

For high speed data exchange, the EZ-USB would be connected typically with 16-Bit parallel FIFO interface to FPGA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

At this time there is no firmware on the 68013a. Thats my question. where can I get a firmware and in which way I can load this firmware to the usb-controller. 

Can I programm it from my c-code without using eeprom? 

At the pc side I have a driver which works with other niosII applications very well. I think on this systems the firmware for usb-controller will be on a area of the eeprom. 

Actual the person which has implemented in the other applications is ill and I musst implement the usb into my system by myself. My time is runing and so I can't wait any longer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't work with 68013a software myself. I have been involved in a hardware design that uses it, so I'm familiar with the basic concept.  

If I understand right, you're design has been communicating through 68013a before, but you don't know how it was achieved in detail. For 68013a firmware, you have the option to load it either from the EEPROM or through the PC driver after attaching the device, in the latter case, the firmware image is included in the driver executable, I think. 68013a uses basically a 8051 processor core, I'm not sure, if Cypress has included a compiler with the design tools or if they are using an industry standard compiler.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use it, and it works, I hope that helps you. 

But I can not share the code (closed source).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's a big help: "It works".:) In my application it doesn't work and I don't now why. But I can understand you. 

Now I wait for my colleague. Perhaps he can say something about this usb-Controller and in which way I can talk with it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry that I can not provide you with more details, but the 8051 has been done by a college and the FPGA code that interfaces it has been done by another. I just use them, so I do not know any details about the implementation. 

I just thought that it would be helpful for you to know that it IS possible to make it work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I was talking about an existing hardware design, simply assume, that it's a retail product now (and the USB interface working). Otherwise I had warned you.

0 Kudos