Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Linux external usb drive showing in bios boot menu as internal m.2 drive

MRROBOTO
Beginner

HP bios only allows four internal boot drives to be listed. I changed to boot order to boot from external linux usb drive and now my external usb drive in the bios boot menu says Unbuntu .1 m.2 drive, and when I change the boot order to boot to my other usb drive win to go windows 11 my internal drive with windows 10 installed disappears from the boot menu. The only way to get the drive backk is to reenable secure boot and recover the bios. After recovering the bios the unbuntu external linux usb drive is still listed as an internal m.2 drive #1. the bios only goes up to #4 for internal boot drives. If I plug the win to go windows 11 usb drive in and boot from usb again the internal windows 10 m.2 nvme drive disappears again.  I have updated the bios to the most recent version and this did not resolve the problem. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, MRROBOTO.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forum.

I received your thread posted on the Intel Virtual RAID on CPU community section, and I will be reviewing this with you.

In this particular case, I would recommend contacting HP directly for support if they are the system manufacturer, but if you need assistance with a specific Intel product, please let me know.

I will keep the thread open in case other community members would like to offer their comments, but it will be closed on February 24th if no interactions take place.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

“Hello, MRROBOTO.

This is to inform you about the closure of this community thread.

I previously mentioned that with this not being related to a specific Intel product, and not even Intel VROC, the best option was to contact HP for assistance.

Since there was no response and no other questions/interactions took place, this thread will be closed right now and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support. If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos