Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7530 Discussions

Issues with Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

ZicVan
Novice

Hi everyone! 

Sorry to bother you, I have been browsing this community forum for quite some time, and I was not able to find a solution for my wi-fi issue.

I have a Lenovo Z51-70 with an Intel Dual Band wireless-AC 3160 and a Technicolor Modem. The wi-fi keeps disconnecting, or rather, cannot be detected at all after few hours of work. I found some sort of "turn-around solution", that is to say uninstalling the drivers of the network adapter and restart my PC.

It works for a some time , but then it suddenly stops detecting the wi-fi and so I have to go through the uninstall-restart process again which is quite frustrating... 

I've tried everything, even changing the settings of the adapter (clean driver installation from intel download centre, 2,4 GHz instead of 5; Disabling Bluetooth, changing power settings, Disabling U-APDS, Set other wireless and HT modes, and so on...) but NOTHING seems to work...

What should I do?

Thank you for your time and concern!

P.S. The connection works fine on my Smartphone and on the other laptop I have, a Lenovo (Yoga) but with a different network adapter...so I suppose that the problem IS the AC-3160...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The last package release that supported this adapter was 21.10.1. The driver version in the Wireless package is 18.33.17.1. The (corresponding) driver version in the Bluetooth package is 20.100.5.1.

Intel is no longer hosting drivers for any of the discontinued Wireless adapters. Luckily, I archived the driver packages that last supported each of the discontinued adapters. You can download them from my Legacy Wireless Drivers share. Start here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What driver version are you using?

...S

0 Kudos
ZicVan
Novice

17.16.0.4 (23/03/2015) or 18.33.7.2 (05/04/2017). The first version is what I get once the PC is restarted. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Dear ZicVan,

We sincerely appreciate your engagement within the Intel® communities.

As this particular product has been discontinued, our Intel Customer Service team is no longer able to provide support for inquiries related to it. We are heartened to see that fellow community members have stepped up to offer their knowledge and assistance. Additionally, you may find the Discontinued Products website to be a valuable resource for addressing your request.

For product specifications and confirmation of its discontinued status, please visit the Intel® Product Specifications website and navigate to the "Product Status" section, where you can find information under "Discontinued."

Please note that Intel will no longer actively monitor this thread. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The last package release that supported this adapter was 21.10.1. The driver version in the Wireless package is 18.33.17.1. The (corresponding) driver version in the Bluetooth package is 20.100.5.1.

Intel is no longer hosting drivers for any of the discontinued Wireless adapters. Luckily, I archived the driver packages that last supported each of the discontinued adapters. You can download them from my Legacy Wireless Drivers share. Start here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg.

Hope this helps,

...S

ZicVan
Novice

Thank you Scott!

It now works flawlessly with the latest drivers. I'll keep you posted if any issues arise. 

0 Kudos
Deo887
Beginner
Hello im having this same problem. I downloaded the files on the link buy wasn't sure which ones to use. I Downloaded the one that says ac3160 since that's what I have but dunno which file to choose next. I tried the windows10 32 and 64 but they wouldn't work. Can you possibly walk me thru the process to keep my wifi from going out or disappearing all together. Thx!
0 Kudos
Hend
Beginner

Thank you so much, you saved my day 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You should be in the Wireless-N 7260 and Wireless-AC 7260, 3160 subfolder. Within this folder, you want to download and run WiFi_21.10.1_64_Win10.exe and BT_21.10.1_64_Win10.exe.

Now, if this is what you ran - and they failed, you likely need to use the clean install process to get around the installer blockages. Here is the process:

1. If you haven't already, download to your PC - but do not install just yet - the Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages.
  2. Most important! Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable. Note this Wireless disable *must* be of type that will persist (stay disabled) across reboots.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go forward to Step 12.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and uninstall it, choosing (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Repeat step 7 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.
  9. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  10. Repeat step 9 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.
  11. Go back to Step 5.
  12. Install the downloaded Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the downloaded Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  16. Test.

Note that it sometimes takes multiple uninstalls (and reboots) to clean out the old installations, so don't give up on the process until you hit, say, 10 reboots. 

Hope this helps,

...S

Edit: Updated with enhanced algorithm that reduces the reboots necessary.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No problem. What I'm here for (since Intel isn't).

...S

0 Kudos