Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Killer Intelligence Center Wireless Virtual Reality mode hotspot settings

Digit_LIFT
Beginner
I just installed the AX1690 in a NUC 12 Extreme Pro for use in a commercial VR setup. When I setup the "Wireless Virtual Reality mode" hotspot with an SSID and password I find that this is not saved on reboot, and that the hotspot has to be turned on when the system restarts.

I would really like to simplify my operations by having the custom hotspot settings retained, and the option to start the hotspot on boot.

Is there a way to do this currently, even if through command line or other external means?

Using the ax1690 is great because it has allowed me to reduce the cost and footprint of my setup by getting rid of an expensive external router, however the recurring cost of having to adjust and activate the hotspot is not ideal.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @Digit_LIFT

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

I am sorry to hear that you have problems with Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1690 (i/s), and I’ll be more than happy to help you.

In this case, our recommendation is to check your Windows settings, you can follow this guide from Microsoft: Use your Windows PC as a mobile hotspot

Make sure your system is up to date, also the drivers for your product: Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1690

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Digit_LIFT

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
Digit_LIFT
Beginner
My understanding is that the windows hotspot is not suitable for the purpose of running VR. That is why I specifically bought this product which supports the dual connect technology (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/killer/double-connect-technology-pc-vr-infographic.html) It does function to run VR via the Killer Control Center, however, as stated above, I must reconfigure this each time I reboot the machine, the settings for the wifi hotspot do not save, and the hotspot does not auto-start on boot (or have an option to do so). The default settings make my network vulnerable as the default password for the hotspot is the same for every unit, easy to find and guess, so making custom settings is important, and having to reset them every reboot is tedious for my operators.

Unless new drivers are somehow integrating the card into the native windows hotspot function in a new and more efficient manner, your suggestion does not solve the issue, nor deliver in the messaging.
0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Digit_LIFT

Thank you for that information.

In order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Digit_LIFT

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Digit_LIFT

We hope you are having a nice day. 

We have not heard back from you. So, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards. 

Jose B.  

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Digit_LIFT

I hope you are having an amazing day.

We were still checking the case. As per our investigation, the behavior is totally expected. Killer features do not stay activated on a restart. This is so that they do not consume resources without the user having explicitly made the decision to do so.

I wanted to leave this information here, it may help other community members facing a similar situation.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos