Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

choosing the correct family of devices

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How do I know which family of device to choose when trying do build a project for timing circuits, for instance I am trying to design a multiplier circuit that will output the product of any 2-bit number (0 through 3) times a multiplier of 0, 1, or 2. Note that we “don’t care” about the result if the multiplier is equal to 3. Write AHDL code for if/then/else/elseif technique. However, when I write the code I get a error (Info: Running Quartus II Compiler Database Interface 

Info: Version 9.1 Build 350 03/24/2010 Service Pack 2 SJ Web Edition 

Info: Processing started: Thu May 27 12:58:10 2010 

Info: Command: quartus_cdb -t c:/altera/91sp2/quartus/common/tcl/internal/qeda_write_fx.tcl lab_3 lab_3 

Info: Quartus(args): lab_3 lab_3 

Error: FPGA Xchange file generation is not supported for family MAX7000AE 

Error: Error(s) found while running EDA Netlist Writer 

Error: Quartus II Full Compilation was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 1 warning) 

This is the type of problem I am running into and I am also having a difficult time understanding how all of this is helping me learn or even know what to do with this program, am I supposed to set this up so that I can see a timing diagram or am I supposed to be able to use this software like I would Multisim and see the actual circuit in operation? 

thanks, 

Lew
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have selected a MAX7000AE device which is a CPLD, not an FPGA. It looks like you've enabled the generation of some EDA files (FPGA Xchange) which I am unfamiliar with. The tool is telling you that it can't generate these EDA files for the MAX7000 family. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well Jake, 

Thats what I am asking how do I know which family to chosse from? I am very new at using this software and I am really confused. I don't even understand the actual use in it as of yet! The way the my courses were setup was for me to learn the syntax of actually writing the program and that is about it. Heck even that is confusing at times. I am slowly becoming familiar with using a vector waveform but not that much. To be honest with you I dont even know the right questions to even ask because I dont understand the use of this program. Can you or anybody help!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So your course instructor hasn't given you any material regarding how to use the tools? No example projects, templates or anything? Timing of your circuit is highly dependent on which device family you choose. 

It's very surprising that they haven't given you any information about how to actually accomplish the assigned task. 

However, 

1 - From within Quartus click Assignments->Device. 

2 - Change the device family to Cyclone III. 

3 - Pick any package and pin count you like. 

4 - Pick the fastest speed grade (lowest number). 

5 - Choose any of the available parts. 

6 - From the same window on the left hand side click on the "EDA Tool Settings" item. Change all of the EDA tools to "<None>". 

See where that gets you. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I have some example projects and even some example problems and now the class is over but I don't have a great understanding of what I can actually do with this software. It is not like Multisim, where I am actually able to see the circuit in action, however, I am coming around to understanding the vwf a little. I guess its almost like using this software to see the logic of the circuit in signal form. Or just dont have an actual clue what I would use it for! Also, Jake, how do you create some test vector inputs ehrn using a vwf?

0 Kudos