Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

GNU Compiler for NIOS 2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using Altera's GNU Compiler but that requires CYGWIN. I am just looking out is there is any GNU compiler that can be invoked directly from windows command promt? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by gpuruso1@Sep 11 2006, 03:53 AM 

hi, 

i am using altera's gnu compiler but that requires cygwin. i am just looking out is there is any gnu compiler that can be invoked directly from windows command promt? 

thanks 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=18213) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Altera&#39;s build only requires CYGWIN to exist, it doesn&#39;t require that you use it from a unix-like shell. This means you can use most of the tools from the windows command prompt! Unfortunately, anywhere that you have to execute a sh script (which is the unix equivelant of a .bat script) it won&#39;t work from a windows command prompt for the same reasons .bat wouldn&#39;t work right under a shell in CYGWIN 

Still, getting to know the cygwin shell is pretty painless and it&#39;s much better than the current generations of windows shells.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It would be even better if you move to a Linux platform. 

It will be a bit difficult at first, but it really worth the pain. 

You can learn so much, and life will be different (probably). http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the meantime I work on a Linux machine aswell as on a Windows machine. 

Compiling the kernel for use with initramfs only works on Linux. 

Also the Windows port does not support the compressed kernel image zImage which is very convenient to save download time. 

I have a samba share to exchange data between Linux and Windows. 

From a batch file it is possible to run shell scripts by doing this: 

bash -c "your shellscriptname" 

This feature comes from Cygwin which I have installed also.
0 Kudos