Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

altpll function

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Terasic DE3 340 board which supports LVDS input and output. 

When I assigned the location for altpll input as a specific pin in Assignment Editor, it gave the following error on compiling: 

Error: Can't place input clock pin clock driving fast PLL alt_pll:comb_4|altpll:altpll_component|alt_pll_altpll:auto_generated|pll1 in non-compensated I/O location AJ31 -- fast PLL drives at least one non-DPA-mode SERDES 

Is it not possible to take an LVDS signal as input to altpll ?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Don't lock it down and see where it puts it. 

The LVDS blocks generally use a Fast PLL, which is a very low jitter, dedicated PLL to make your interface work. The timing is quite tight and needs a very strict relationship between clock and data(I say it's tight, but I actually don't know what speeds you're running at.) The Fast PLL has dedicated clock pins that drive it. If you bring the clock in on other pins, then they delay from that pin to the PLL will use local, non-compensated routing, rather than the path specifically laid out for this type of interface.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How can I check which pin has been automatically assigned by the fitter? It does not show up in the Assignment editor...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Assignment Editor shows only the user-entered assignments, not what Quartus actually did. All pin locations used by the Fitter are shown in the pin tables in the Fitter compilation report and in the .pin file. The "All Package Pins" table and the .pin file indicate if the Fitter used the location because of an user assignment or if the Fitter chose the location on its own. 

Another place to look is the Pin Planner. Use "View --> Show --> Show Fitter Placements."
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It shows the clock to be assigned to pin W33. now when I check the datasheet for the location of W33, I cannot find the pin number. Is it a flaw in the datasheet? 

The assignment for input signal is shown to be at AA33 which according to datasheet is a USB controller input pin. 

When I try to set the assignment of input signal to a location I want that according to the manual supports LVDS input and has a SERDES circuitry, I receive the following error: 

Error: Can't place differential I/O receiver pin inp in location B25 -- differential I/O pin requires dedicated I/O SERDES, but location does not have differential I/O receiver SERDES available 

I am now confused how to assign the pins, and whether to trust the user manual of the fpga, or not
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which datasheet are you looking at? I'm guessing it's the Terasic datasheet? That probably doesn't have all the ports available on the FPGA, just the pins brought out on their board. But when you have a floating port(no location assignment), Quartus has no idea what your board is, and may use a port that isn't connected on the board. 

How are you actually bringing the clock in? Is it something you're hooking up to a general I/O, or is it an existing clock on the board coming in(in which case you have no flexibility). Are you sure the board was designed for this interface?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I understand that you want to connect a differential clock at HSTC A connector and tryed with LVDS RX pin pair AJ31/32. I think, the only pin respectively pin pair that can be used for clock input to a PLL is AE31/32.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Re: FvM 

I tried placing the clock input at HSTCA PIN AE31 and it still gives the same error :  

Error: Can't place input clock pin clock driving fast PLL alt_pll:comb_4|altpll:altpll_component|alt_pll_altpll:auto_generated|pll1 in non-compensated I/O location AE31 -- fast PLL drives at least one non-DPA-mode SERDES 

Moreover I cannot use the RX/TX ports of ank 2 and 3 of HSTC as LVDS. It gives either of the following errors: 

Error: Can't place differential I/O receiver pin inp in location C26 -- differential I/O pin requires dedicated I/O SERDES, but location does not have differential I/O receiver SERDES available 

Error: PIN xxx does not support LVDS
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Re: Rysc 

I am using DE3 340 board, which has HSTC input ports for differential signal and clock input. I am using this connector for giving input and clock. It supports LVDS according to the altera datasheet.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here's what I found out:  

I am getting the above errors only if I use the altlvds and altpll (as an external pll to the altlvds function).  

I have to choose the 'Left-Right PLL' option in the altpll function otherwise I get an error saying 'One or more enable or clock ports of lvds function are not driven by a fast pll', which means that Top-Bottom is not a fast pll. 

And since I am using the Left-right pll, maybe I am not allowed to use the HSTC bank 2 and 3 pins(which is strange). Am I right? 

Once I remove the altlvds and altpll function and do a manual deserialization of data, i get no such errors during the assignment since I do not use any pll.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Pin AE31 also isn't a dedicated PLL clock input. The Stratix III pinout files and DE340 user manuals clearly tells, which pins can be used as clock input. C26 in contrast is a LVDS receiver pin according to the pin-out file, so the reported error message isn't understandable to me unlesse you selected a different part than EP3SL340H1152. Or the pin-out file would be wrong. 

Another point is selection of PLLs by Quartus. Normally they are selected based on the pin assignments. In some cases, e. g. when chaining PLLs, this automatic selection fails, then you have to select the correct PLL manually by assigning a location to the instance in assignment editor. 

Serialisation/Deserialization in LEs is always an option for lower bitrates. However the DE340 HSTC connector pin mapping is intended to use dedicated LVDS hardware. As far as I saw, it is basically correct.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The HSTC connectors are connected to dedicated clocks: CLK 5,7,13 and 15 (according to pin mapping). Now the PLLs that can take these clocks as input are B1, B2, T1 and T2.  

(according to altera handbook) 

According to this, I understand that I will have to use top and bottom PLLs if I want to use the LVDS clock inputs from HSTC. However the only configuration that works in altpll function is Left-Right PLL (Even Auto doesnt work)....By not working, I mean that I get an error:  

error: the serdes receiver or transmitter atom "rx[0]" has one or more clock and enable ports that are not driven by a fast pll 

This may be due to the fact that Top-Bottom PLL do not support LVDS clock network compensation (Source: Altera handbook) 

Does this mean I cannot use the HSTC clock pins to drive an external PLL for SERDES function..? 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are right in so far, as the HSTC connector clock inputs can't drive a Left/Right PLL (PLL with DPA cricuit) directly. That's somewhat surprizing, I don't know DE-340 architecture good enough to decide if it's a well thought design decision or just ill-considered.  

However, they can be used by cascading a Top/Bottom PLL and a Left/Right PLL.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You are right in so far, as the HSTC connector clock inputs can't drive a Left/Right PLL (PLL with DPA cricuit) directly. That's somewhat surprizing, I don't know DE-340 architecture good enough to decide if it's a well thought design decision or just ill-considered.  

--- Quote End ---  

I wouldn't be surprised. Most Terasic boards have similar issues regarding clock inputs and outputs pinout. In the DE-1 and DE-2 is even worse because of the limitations of the Cyclone II PLLs.
0 Kudos