Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16613 Discussions

QII 8.1: Incremental Compilation and Signal Tap

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all I'm using Quartus II ver 8.1. 

My project has 1 top, 2 partitions (containing ASI IP blocks) and 1 Nios Project Partition. 

Told that the problem is now I'm in debug phase of the project and I cannot use the signal tap! 

The problem arise because all the Signal Tap I've tried to generate seems to put the CLK at ground each time (I've used always clk that are output of PLL). 

It doesn't depend if I instantiate one ore more signal tap instance, but the problem persists also if I change all the data and the clk (in order to see different things). 

The message is that after the syntesis the CLK of the signal tap is put at GND!. 

At first I thought was something about STP of Quartus 8.1 because the project arose in QII 8.0 and I've used STP, but after the NIOS guy started to use all the features of Nios 8.1 I've had to switch the project in QII. But it is not this case because I've tried to do a simple project in order to test the STP and it works. 

I can tell you that all time I'm trying to monitor the signals in the TOP partitions and I've used always the "Signal Tap: Presynthesis" signal in my stp. 

I'm sure that the block are almost working because I've the out signal of the block that almost is the one I want and I've tried also to put on pin to phisically see the CLK and leave it there also in other compilations. 

What can I try?  

Is changed something in the last QII signal tap? 

(I Instantiate it creting it from quartus, not with the megawizard way).
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I cannot understand, now without changing anything theese others 2 Stp are working as intended..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all I'm using Quartus II ver 8.1. 

My project has 1 top, 2 partitions (containing ASI IP blocks) and 1 Nios Project Partition. 

Told that the problem is now I'm in debug phase of the project and I cannot use the signal tap! 

The problem arise because all the Signal Tap I've tried to generate seems to put the CLK at ground each time (I've used always clk that are output of PLL). 

It doesn't depend if I instantiate one ore more signal tap instance, but the problem persists also if I change all the data and the clk (in order to see different things). 

The message is that after the syntesis the CLK of the signal tap is put at GND!. 

At first I thought was something about STP of Quartus 8.1 because the project arose in QII 8.0 and I've used STP, but after the NIOS guy started to use all the features of Nios 8.1 I've had to switch the project in QII. But it is not this case because I've tried to do a simple project in order to test the STP and it works. 

I can tell you that all time I'm trying to monitor the signals in the TOP partitions and I've used always the "Signal Tap: Presynthesis" signal in my stp. 

I'm sure that the block are almost working because I've the out signal of the block that almost is the one I want and I've tried also to put on pin to phisically see the CLK and leave it there also in other compilations. 

What can I try?  

Is changed something in the last QII signal tap? 

(I Instantiate it creting it from quartus, not with the megawizard way). 

--- Quote End ---  

Did you see the clock on the pin ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Of course. 

Now all is working also the STP, maybe it was corrupted or others, but seems strange to me.. 

In 7 years that I use Altera it's the first time that I've had troubles with STP.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Of course. 

Now all is working also the STP, maybe it was corrupted or others, but seems strange to me.. 

In 7 years that I use Altera it's the first time that I've had troubles with STP. 

--- Quote End ---  

What did you do to make it running ? Simply deleting the dB folder ????? 

Maybe something happens when you change to the newer Quartus version in the database ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've recreated the stp files from the beginning, deleted the db and import db (of course I've reimported the partition also). 

Maybe it was that.
0 Kudos