Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

Installing Quartus on Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am thinking about installing Quartus on Linux (possibly Ubuntu or Fedora). However, both of these are not officially supported by Quartus. I was wondering: 

a. is it possible to do so? 

b. do you guys have any tips on how to do that? (i.e. getting USB Blaster to work, ... etc).
0 Kudos
48 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So what is the word on "official" support of the Debian way? Say Ubuntu? 

I submitted the "how to" create .debs to Altera a few weeks ago - was hoping to hear by now. 

Jon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Jon,  

Getting a deb for the quartus install, or an rpm, is probably a while off.  

as for the ubuntu usb blaster issue, 7.10 uses udev, i believe you should be adding a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d 

Attached is what i have used. the jtagd folder is copied into etc, and the jtag_init goes to /etc/init.d and should be started at boot. 

--dalon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

dalon hi, 

Thank you for the reply. I have followed your instructions but still no luck. 

The rules.d change I had already done as per the ubuntu tutorial in nioswiki 

I copied the jtagd folder and jtag_init (after correcting for my own paths) as you said. 

Rebooted.. but still no jtag cables recognized in jtagconfig.  

Is jtag_init executed automatically at boot because all the files in that dir are, or should I be putting it in somewhere explicitly? 

I apologize for the ignorance. It has been Windows till now. 

BTW, the cables and board are all working because a reference PC recognizes everything immediately. 

Thank you, 

Eli
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

I've done some more research. The system log shows the following message immediately after jtagd is started: 

Feb 5 21:43:42 eli-desktop jtagd: JTAG daemon started^\¥^I^H^VL^H^H^A 

Feb 5 21:43:42 eli-desktop jtagd: No remote JTAG because stops when idle 

Can anybody using the usbblaster check their syslog and tell me whether their entry looks the same? Are you getting the control chars (no other entry in the file has them)? Do you get the no remote message.. 

Any suggestions how to use this info to make the usbblaster work? 

Anyone know how init.d directory works? This seems to be the replacement for systab but the info I found did not make it clear how the init replacement uses these files. 

Thank you, 

Eli
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

Looks like I am talking to myself a little on this thread. 

Well, I've made some progress but I am not there yet. I found your excellent post, dalon, at: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5964 

Looks like mounting the drive made the difference. Now it recognizes the cables but does not give me permission. It says: 

USB_Blaster [USB 4-1.1] 

Unable to lock chain (Insufficient port permissions) 

I have followed the Altera usb blaster instructions for linux that tell you to edit 

/etc/hotplug/usb.usermap. However I am using Ubuntu Gutsy and they have a different system. They expect you to use libmtp.sh. At any rate, I tried creating a usbblaster shell file to no avail. 

Need help at this point. Anyone? 

Eli
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have this functional on Gutsy running on an amd64. The /etc/hotplug stuff is irrelevant for Gutsy as it's solely a udev-based distribution. All you should have to do is what's mentioned in Dalon's post (including the referenced PDF file). In other words: 

1. Add the following to the bottom of your /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules file. 

# Altera USB-Blaster BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster" 

2. Add the following to your /etc/fstab file. 

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0 

3. Unless you decide to reboot your machine (not necessary), you'll have to make sure the usbfs is actually mounted. Do a... 

sudo mount -a 

and then check to see that the mount "took" by typing "mount". Here's what I see: 

/dev/sda6 on / type jfs (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro) proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755) varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777) udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755) devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620) lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw) /dev/sda5 on /boot type ext2 (rw) /dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096) /dev/sda2 on /media/sda2 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096) securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw) /dev/sdf2 on /media/sdf2 type jfs (rw) /dev/sdl1 on /media/sdl1 type jfs (rw) usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666) 

Now, the only issue(s) that I continue to see are repeated (and rather annoying) internal errors EVERY time I try to open particular menus in QII (options menu is the worst) caused by that abomination....MainWin. 

Cheers, 

- uraslacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have a look at the attached doc I recieved last year, havnt tried it myself however. 

Thanks
0 Kudos