FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5933 Discussions

Help needed about the DE2 Audio Codec

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I set up everything as in the DE2 manual, and use the reference design to play music(48KHZ,wav). But why there is a small amount noise along with the music from the headset? 

Thanks for help!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how did you plug in your line in and line out wires? do you use splitters (y-adapaters) or anything? i have a de2-70 and the audio codec works fine for me... Try to remove possible sources of interference.. do you have other wires or power cables near your DE2 board? also check your headset to make sure its not damaged

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't use the line in. I read the music data from SD card and directly insert my headset into the line out port. I tried three different headsets, the same result.......

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On my DE2-70 I don't hear any noise either. If you can reproduce with with multiple good sound samples, I would contact Terasic. It is possible that your board is marginal. 

Once I have had to send a Xilinx board back which worked, but the voltage regulator was near melting. The replacement was fine. Marginal boards do happen.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

On my DE2-70 I don't hear any noise either. If you can reproduce with with multiple good sound samples, I would contact Terasic. It is possible that your board is marginal. 

Once I have had to send a Xilinx board back which worked, but the voltage regulator was near melting. The replacement was fine. Marginal boards do happen. 

--- Quote End ---  

My board is basic DE2 rather than DE2-70. I tried several other such boards in the lab, and found the same problem. I think the problem is due to the low transmit speed of SD card because I tried to put the music from SD card to 4M flash and then played the music from the flash, there was no noise. But the flash is only 4M,it can't hold WAV file more than that size.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have DE2 with 2C35 and not sure DE2-70 has the same HDL file, but… Please try to edit “I2C_AV_Config.v” and replace the line 

A_PATH_CTRL : LUT_DATA <= 16'h08F8; 

With 

A_PATH_CTRL : LUT_DATA <= 16'h08D0;  

Then re-compile the quartus project. 

This inhibits analog mic-in sidetone and line-in bypass mixing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1.Did you use i2c to config Audio Core? When add an audio core in SOPC, all parameter are filled so I guest that there's no need to use i2c to config. 

2. I used default setting (48Khz samplerate, clk 18432000,. 16bit data, 2 channel). 

In according to Manual, data registers are BASE+8, and BASE+12 

Then I coded: 

IOWR(AUDIO_0_BASE,8,#value) 

IOWR(AUDIO_0_BASE,12,#value) 

nothing happens!!!! plz tell me why
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you please upload the VHDL file for the AUDIO CODEC that you are using along with pin configuration please i am really in need of that

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i am having the same problem with the SD card, there is considerable noise level on the output, so is there any workaround for this?  

Thanks!
0 Kudos