Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Nios II Web-Server without RTOS?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Is there a way to implement the Web-Server from the Nios II without the RTOS from Micrium? In my application there is no need for a RTOS and spending much money for a RTOS which I don’t really need is no option. 

I would like to use the “new” HAL and not the old SDK, but changing the sample project from the Nios I is not very easy. 

What do you think about my problem? 

Bye, 

nios2user
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Soon we will be releasing the standalone version of lwip in the Nios Forum. This version comes with a very simple webserver. We are just tying up a couple of loose ends, but should have it here this week (along with the CompactFlash component). 

Best regards, 

Robert Brookes 

Marketing Manager 

Microtronix
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Robert, 

That sounds very good and I think that would solve my problem. You talked about a CompactFlash component. Could you give some more details please? 

Thank you in advance, 

nios2user
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

I would like to use the “new” HAL and not the old SDK, but changing the sample project from the Nios I is not very easy.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

You don&#39;t need to use the HAL (although we reccomend it). In the "more CPU settings page" of SOPC Builder, just check the legacy SDK box and fill out the fields as you did in the Nios I CPU -- then you get an SDK folder just like the old days. This is being provided for people who are moving Nios I systems to Nios II and don&#39;t want to change their software. The disadvantage of staying with the legacy SDK is that we don&#39;t provide the fancy IDE for it, and the /f version of the CPU core is not officially supported due to cache coherency issues (that is, you may have to modify your old software a bit to make it write-back cache compatible, although most software will work fine on the /f CPU with legacy mode). 

The app note on upgrading Nios I --> Nios II contrasts the differences between legacy SDK and HAL, and has a little section describing the tool-flow of the legacy SDK (most utilities just have a "2" in them, nios2-build for example). If you do want to stay with HAL, this document also has a big table of the legacy SDK-specific function calls and some suggestions of how to replace them with HAL/ANSI C equivalents.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Trogdor_the_Burninator, 

Thank you for the tips. Before posting here I read the Application Note 350 (Upgrading first-generation Nios processor systems to the Nios II processor) and decided to use the new HAL and of course the IDE. That’s why SDK is no option for me. 

I tried to port the simple Web-Server from Nios to Nios II (HAL) but there are too many dependencies with other libraries and I don’t want to spend so much time for this (there is a lot of other work to do). 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did the LWIP solve your problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Kerri, 

Yes and no. I did some changes in the web server which is provided with the stand alone LWIP like posting a file into memory. For the moment it’s ok. In the future I will learn more about http servers for more features. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser 

PS: LWIP is working very well.
0 Kudos