Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Does QII support verilog string parameters?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm confused.. 

I admit to not being an expert on all things verilog (or anything in life for that mater), but I am trying to learn to parameterize a new module definition to expand its usefulness without undue added complexity... (what else are parameters for??) 

I've googled and found conflicting evidence whether or not verilog supports string-type parameters.. I've seen googled references showing syntax like this: 

--- Quote Start ---  

module my_module ( 

parameter string my_name = "BOB" from {"BOB", "SAM"}; 

[...] 

--- Quote End ---  

Which looks to be an enumerated type parameter to allow the compiler to infer integer representations for human-readable values ... cool... 

But QuartusII (v7.2 sp3) no likey-likey.... 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at [file](36) near text "parameter"; expecting ")", or ",", or ".", or an identifier ("parameter" is a reserved keyword ), or "{", or "input", or "output", or "inout", or "(*" 

--- Quote End ---  

Any ideas on enumerated type / string parameters in verilog (2001) using QII? 

thanks! 

..dane
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Duhhh... I was putting it in the wrong place .... should be defined this way: 

--- Quote Start ---  

module my_module ( 

input ... 

output ... 

); 

parameter string my_name = "BOB" from {"BOB", "SAM"}; 

[...] 

--- Quote End ---  

Now I need to figure out how to restrict the module instantiation values to predefined values (that I support) and otherwise throw an error... 

..dane
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The parameter definition as shown isn't correct Verilog syntax. A module parameter can either appear in a module_parameter_portlist,  

#( parameter_declaration { , parameter_declaration } ) 

or as a module item in module body: 

parameter probe_width = 1;  

Furthermore, string isn't a defined Verilog type, and typified string parameters are not provided by the Verilog standard. It may be a vendor specific extension? 

Altera Verilog IP are using untypified string parameters, e. g.: 

parameter instance_id = "UNUSED";
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, sorry, I just copy/pasted and did not correct the syntax of the actual parameter definition ...  

But the question now, is, can I create an enumerated list of "supported" values, so that when instantiating within a QII schematic file and they double-click on the module parameter name it provides a drop-down list of acceptable values? 

..dane
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've little knowledge of the schematic editor's interaction with HDL design files. I know, that symbol parameters are controlling VHDL generics respectively Verilog parameters. But I haven't yet seen an example utilizing the drop-down selection in symbol parameters. Personally I stopped using schematic entry some years ago. 

The schematic editor is treated as legacy stuff in Quartus Handbook under quartus ii design flow for max+plus ii users and rather briefly documented.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The string data type is a SystemVerilog feature and currently not supported by Quartus II, even for constants such as parameters. That's unfortunate because you can only pass around and manipulate strings as a sequence of bits in regular Verilog.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The untypified string parameter seems to work however, see above.  

The other question is, if e. g. VHDL string generics could be used with schematic entry drow-down selection for parameters, I did never see this feature in operation.
0 Kudos