Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

Compliation error, unknown argument

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having trouble when trying to compile a project. I copied an existing project using the Quartus drop downs; Project, Copy Project.. to a new folder. I made a few mods then attempted to compile. 

I receive the following error; 

Error: Unknown argument "mode". Refer to --help for legal arguments. 

When I bring up help, I receive; 

CAUSE: You started a Quartus II command-line executable and specified an unknown argument for an option.  

ACTION: Run the command again and use a correct argument or remove the option.  

I started compilation the normal way, in Quartus using drop downs; Processing, Start Compilation. 

I have a some questions; 

What happened and how do I fix it? 

How can I prevent this problem in the future? 

Regards, 

rfournier
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Strange. When you compile a design, it is really just running some command line arguments. These get echoed into the messages at the bottom, like so: 

quartus_map -options .... 

quartus_merge -options .... 

quartus_fit -options .... 

Etc. 

Can you look at the command being run and what options are set? Also, go to your old, working project and look at the .flow.rpt, which should have all these commands grouped together. Then we compare the two and see what's different.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Rysc, 

The flow log from the old working project; 

------------ 

; Flow Log ; 

------------ 

quartus_map --read_settings_files=on --write_settings_files=off anti_stall_V3 -c anti_stall_V3 

quartus_fit --read_settings_files=off --write_settings_files=off anti_stall_V3 -c anti_stall_V3 

quartus_asm --read_settings_files=off --write_settings_files=off anti_stall_V3 -c anti_stall_V3 

quartus_tan --read_settings_files=off --write_settings_files=off anti_stall_V3 -c anti_stall_V3 

There is a flow log in the copied project directory which is identical, it appears to be the copied log. I say this because the Flow Summary shows the status as successful. When I attempt to compile, the first message in the window is the error message followed by the unsusuccessful compilation message. It seems the process never gets started so no log is created to overwrite the existing. 

I normally copy a project to a new directory, modify, and compile without incident, so I was pretty surprised when the error occured.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So there are no other messages before this one? You could try running quartus_map explicitly, by doing Processing -> Start -> Analysis & Synthesis. 

But I really have no idea what's going on. If you can reproduce it, maybe file an SR?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Correct, the 1st line in the message window, Processing tab, is the error. 

In the System tab when trying your suggestion I received; 

Info: Started Analysis & Synthesis at Mon Nov 05 13:25:18 2007 Eastern Standard Time 

Info: Ended Analysis & Synthesis at Mon Nov 05 13:25:26 2007 Eastern Standard Time 

Strange indeed. 

I will try an SR and also see if I can find a work around. 

Thank you for your time. 

Regards, 

rfournier
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have found my error. 

When I created the new directory and named the project I used a space in the name, "new feature". I started over creating the new directory and named the project "new_feature". The underscore makes all the difference. The compiler runs now. 

While looking through the Altera support area to buy a clue I came across an entry regarding spaces in names in an older software release. The work around was the underscore. Figuring it had to be something simple and it was a difference from previous file names I gave it a try. It's all good now! 

Regards, 

rfournier
0 Kudos