Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

ADC code for Cyclone II DE1 board not working

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, i wrote the following code to read digital values from the pins of ADC0804 but it doesnt seem to be working... 

library ieee; 

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

use ieee.std_logic_arith.all; 

use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; 

library std; 

use std.standard; 

ENTITY ADC IS 

PORT( CLK : IN STD_LOGIC; 

IN_0 : IN STD_LOGIC;--LSB 

IN_1 : IN STD_LOGIC; 

IN_2 : IN STD_LOGIC; 

IN_3 : IN STD_LOGIC; 

IN_4 : IN STD_LOGIC; 

IN_5 : IN STD_LOGIC; 

IN_6 : IN STD_LOGIC; 

IN_7 : IN STD_LOGIC;--MSB 

ADC_OUT : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 DOWNTO 0)); 

END ADC; 

---------------------------------------------------------------- 

ARCHITECTURE a OF ADC IS 

SIGNAL ADC_IN : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 DOWNTO 0); 

BEGIN 

ADC_IN <= IN_7&IN_6&IN_5&IN_4&IN_3&IN_2&IN_1&IN_0; 

PROCESS(CLK) 

BEGIN 

IF (CLK'EVENT AND CLK='1') THEN 

ADC_OUT <= NOT(ADC_IN); 

END IF; 

END Process; 

end a; 

I tested this code using an 8 bit random number generator and it works fine, but when the cyclone II board is connected directly to the ADC0804, i get no output. The ADC is working fine(tested using array of LEDs).... 

What am i doing wrong? please help me guys, this is urgent :( 

or is it because of logic voltage levels? ADC0804 = 5V and 0V... Cyclone II FPGA = 3.3V and 0V...  

ADC0804 is TTL compatible 

Regards 

Dante
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

what about the control signals like CS,RD,WR and INTR? are you applying the correct logic for these signals? 

Regards, 

Shahzad
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

what about the control signals like CS,RD,WR and INTR? are you applying the correct logic for these signals? 

Regards, 

Shahzad 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Shahzad, thanx for quick response... CS & RD are grounded, WR & INTR are connected together for continuous conversion and testing the circuit with LEDs it works... So i dont know what the problem is.. :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

i dont think there is any promblem with the code. you should check if the FPGA pin assignment is done correctly... Since the chip is TTL competilbe, it must not have any promblem with 3.3 volt. Also you must power the ADC chip through power of DE1 board so that both the FPGA and ADC chip have same ground. 

Regards, 

Shahzad
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanx Sha, thats exactly what i did, but i'll just go through it again and check if the pins are correctly assigned and if i still experience any problem, i will let you know. Thanx bro 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanx Sha, thats exactly what i did, but i'll just go through it again and check if the pins are correctly assigned and if i still experience any problem, i will let you know. Thanx bro 

Regards 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

how does the design inside the FPGA lookslike ? Is it only a feedthrough of the ADC data ? 

If not maybe you have a problem inside of your design. To check of your ADC data goes inside the FPGA corretly could be observed with signaltap.  

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

how does the design inside the FPGA lookslike ? Is it only a feedthrough of the ADC data ? 

If not maybe you have a problem inside of your design. To check of your ADC data goes inside the FPGA corretly could be observed with signaltap.  

Kind regards 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Pletz, Thanx for reply 

I see this signaltap thingy, but hw does it work? hw do i see the signals? 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The DE1 board is still not inputing anything :(, tried using the signaltap module but i just get license errors n then my design doesnt wanna compile anymore because of this error, luckily i had back up. i really dont know what to do anymore :( :( :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Got it finally, Thanx Guys:D!!!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Got it finally, Thanx Guys:D!!! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

in case you are using the web edition of Quartus you have to switch on the "TalkBack" 

feature. This should solve the licence problem. Otherwise you have to disable your signaltap file. You find the setting under: Assignments -> Settings -> Signaltap II Logic Analyzer  

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

dante: can u help me?how do you do?plzz help me

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

dante: can u help me?how do you do?plzz help me 

--- Quote End ---  

help you with what?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see ur adc run rite.. Are u have complete ur Project?? Can u give ur email we discuss it at email

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I see ur adc run rite.. Are u have complete ur Project?? Can u give ur email we discuss it at email 

--- Quote End ---  

yes, i completed the project. so i see you want to use ADC0804. there's application note in the ADC0804 datasheet, did you have a look at it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yup i want use it.. Where part in datasheet?? Can u help me. I first time in fpga.. Can u give me cct of adc ??

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

which FPGA are you using for your project?

0 Kudos