Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Poor performance with LWIP and uCOSII on NIOSII

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I'm using a niosii system using data (2kb) and instruction cache (4kb) and running ucosii and lwip, and based on an ip gbethernet mac core

With a very simple (and stupid ...) application, I benchmark the overall performance of this system with a UDP streaming. 

The first results concern me a lot: 

globally the low level (Interrupt handler, home made driver and VHDL IP core) runs quite well : 

interrupt latency => 7usec 

delay in the interrupt delay in (Transmission mode) => 6usec  

DMA transfert => 10,6usec (for 1024 bytes) 

however, even with a simple loop at the application level to send a given number of udp packets (no superfluous job), the first results give me a maximum throughput about 5-6 mbits/sec which is very low.  

Does someone have any figure to confirm or to invalidate my results with an equivalent system ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Gaël
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your figures are in line with what I would expect, what's your target? 

If you look at the topic "lwip MicroC/OS-II throughput" in the MicroC/OS-II Forum you will see that 17MBits/s UDP Rx and 35MBits/s UDP Tx have been achieved.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean by target ? I'm using a Stratix 2S60 on altera evaluation board. 

Do you have an idea about the system configuration used to achieve 17Mbits Rx and 35Mbits tx ? 

Was it on the altera evaluation board using a standard design ? 

Gaël
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry I meant what's your target performance? 

As for the information on the system, all I know is what's in the posting I referred you to.
0 Kudos