Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20709 Discussions

Cyclone II Serial Config

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having a rather odd problem and I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced it. 

I'm using an M25P40 serial prom with an EP2C20. Standard setup, in fact we reused the schematics from a previous project and repinned the FPGA. The only difference is that it's a Cyclone II instead of a Cyclone part. We've only built 4 boards and they are all flakey. 

The problem is that the proms are mysteriously unprogramming themselves during normal operation. That is, the Cyclone II won't configure until the prom is reprogrammed. Sometimes the serial prom can't be reprogrammed and must be replaced. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks for your help. 

Leslie
0 Kudos
41 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have a MSN Nummber... So you can't have it ;-) 

Have you tried to programm the pof Fiel directly? Typically ther comes a debug messages which shows the silicon ID read out of the device. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes I have tried to programm the pof Fiel directly .and the error message is the same. 

I used M25P16 is 8 pins,and the EPCS16 is 16 pins,althought many of the pins is not collect,but maybe the package also be collect in the silicon ID. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok i cheked the Device IDs via Datasheet. They are the same in EPCS16 as in the M25P16 (14h). So I don't have an idea. what it could be... 

Have you really selected the EPCS16 and not the EPC16? 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes if u use *.jic there is only EPCS16 not EPC16.and I found my M25P16 is 8 pins ,but the EPCS16 IS 16pins. maybe this is the problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think so, because there are two ordering codes for the EPCS16. one for the 16 pin and another for the 8 Pins. Perhaps you have to carefully compare the two datsheets. I'm not sure, why this happens. What me really makes wonder is that they have the same UID and quartus don't likes it. Perhaps Altera changed some things in configuration devices??? Perhaps they wanted to block alternative devices... But I can't believe this.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use quartus 6.1 to convert the file.and the FPGA is EP2C5,The ST ID is 25PE16V6.I Will buy some M25P40 to try it .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok try this... btw I meant the so called RES instruction. THats a one byte wide identifiaction number wich shows the size of the device. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

config with CYCIII and ST M25p32 works :) 

silicon ID is 0x15 

I used EPCS16 in programer and user Design. 

Maybe it also works with EPCS64....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the Info. I'm wondering that using EPCS16 in programer allows to program a 32Bit device. Becuse the silicon ID for the EPCS16 is 14h. :confused:  

But I'm glad that it works for you... 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was also suprised :))

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, at least I'm not alone :D  

You don't have a M25P16 or M25P64 by the hand? So you could test if they are working... 

Would be interesting. If you have the time ;)  

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I´m quiet sure that they will also work.  

I have no other flash devic by the hand... 

maybe I´m able to order some samples.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, if you have the time to order and test, it would be helpfull for us others. But so it seems that stephezhou has other problems...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I use quartus 6.1 to convert the file.and the FPGA is EP2C5,The ST ID is 25PE16V6.I Will buy some M25P40 to try it . 

--- Quote End ---  

I´m using quartus 7.1. 

are you shure that you have selectet the right EPCS device for the .jic conversion? 

use quartus 7.1, maybe there will be the silicon ID reportet, as it was in my case.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi Ckirsche  

I programer M25P40 with quartus is ok. but it can't work .i use *.jic,but when i reset the board ,it can't config the FPGA ep2c5/. 

and for your information .it only can work with EP2C8?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi every body, 

I want to know how I connect the JTAG to assure the Serial Flash Loader for a CYCLON III FPGA (EP3C25Q240).  

I know that I must use the SFL function and connect the M25P16 FLASH RAM like this : 

M25p16 EPCS16 

C-----------DCLK 

D-----------ASDI 

Q-----------DATA 

S-----------NCS 

W-----------VCC (With pullup) 

HOLD-------VCC (With pullup) 

VCC--------VCC 

VSS--------GND  

But to program the FLASH via the JTAG ,I don’t know if there is a special connection between the CYCLON III and the M25P16 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

look in the quartus III manual section Active Serial connection. 

There is a schematic which shows the connection! 

the schematic to load the serial flash over JTAG with the serial Flash loader tool from altera is the same!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks  

But I don’t find the quartus III manual section Active Serial connection can you please send me the address  

:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK M25P40 I Test in 1C6, 2C5,2C8 Is ok 

in as mode and jtag mode.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there are three possibility to access a serial config device: 

1) access over a serial interface SFL (see AN370) 

2) access over a parallel interface ASMI (see altasmi_parallel Megafunction 

User Guide) 

3) EPCS controller for NIOSII (EPCS Device Controller Core) 

Has anybody tried to get one of this IP-Cores with a STM / ST - Flash?
0 Kudos