Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

How consolidate RBF-file with program for NIOS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello  

It is my first post on this forum, so sorry if I select wrong place. 

I have problem with auto-boot on Stratix. 

I build project in Quartus and result of this work is RBF file. But when I load this (rbf) to FPGA, program doesn’t work. I must always on start use NIOS IDE and load program (compiled form C) from this aplication, for it I use JTAG.  

So, my question is how add program for nios to RBF-file? I load RBF-file to FPGA by my own application (Stratix is on Tsunami PC104 board was connected to PC by PCI bus).
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi gkarpiel, 

> So, my question is how add program for nios to RBF-file? 

Does your program run from an on-chip RAM/ROM? Or do you have external 

memory? 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My program is running from on-chip MEMORY ROM/RAM, 

so Is it possible?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi gkarpiel, 

> My program is running from on-chip MEMORY ROM/RAM, 

> so Is it possible? 

Yes. On chip memory components are initialized from the contents of a .hex file. 

For example, if you have an on chip rom component named "irom", Quartus 

will look for a file named "irom.hex" by default -- you can look in your ptf file 

to see the name. You can use elf2hex to generate the file ... although I believe the 

IDE can do it automatically for you (I always do these tasks via command line). 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I have on-chip memory, so file "onchip_memory_0.hex" was generated automatic by NIOS IDE (ok, it's true). Next, I set “start compilation” and now I have sof-file and rbf-file with program for NIOS (you have right to). And now, I have second problem, when I load sof –file (JTAG) or RBF-file (my application) to FPGA, program doesn’t start, but when I load by NIOS IDE program works ok. I don’t know what NIOS IDE change in FPGA, because if I load sof (JTAG) or rbf (my application) AGAIN (after NIOS IDE), all works ok. Now, I can load different programs with different structures FPGA (different mode in blinking LED) and all works fine. So, what I should do to force auto-start program after power on? 

Maybe, I must set some RESET signals or something?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi gkarpiel, 

> So, what I should do to force auto-start program after power on? 

Sounds like a hardware issue. You should probably review the schematic and the 

board's hardware manual to see how reset is handled. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos