Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

USB device mode operation.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone tested the gadget support for USB device mode operations. We had this working for the ISP1161 with the old Microtronix distribution but I don't think the driver has been updated yet. Is device side USB currently working for some other chip set?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been looking at this again with little luck so far. If I compile the various gadget drivers as modules (g_zero.ko, g_serial.ko, etc) I get: 

modprobe g_zero.ko 

modprobe: failed to load module g_zero.ko: Invalid argument 

or 

modprobe g_serial.ko 

modprobe: failed to load module g_serial.ko: Invalid argument. 

I am using the ISP1161 and the host side is, and has been, working for a long time. Any ideas/help would be really appreciated. This is the last major issue confronting our latest project and if I can get it working, I will finally be able to provide all of the wiki updates I've promised this group. Thanks, Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is with the nios drivers not the system I'm using to try and talk to it with. I know this to be true as it used to work back in the 2.6.11 days and we still have a product using that version of the kernel. So my pc and the associated drivers are tested and working fine. The nios side drivers are not working with the later distributions.  

If anyone else gets a chance to look at this I will gladly share what I've learned so far. Thanks -- Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A quick update on this problem. After days of beating my head on this issue I determined that the isp116x_udc_probe() function is never being called. That results in the device data structure never being assigned so the driver_register function fails. That was the easy part to figure out :). Where the actual probe function gets called, or should get called, eludes me. I have tried to configure this driver as a module and that failes too.  

I found a thread in the blackfin mail-archive where someone seems to have ran into this exact same problem (using a NET2272 device). As near as I can tell, that has never been resolved either.  

If someone smarter than me can offer some direction, it would be really appreciated. Thanks -Alex P.S. we need a crying icon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Today I managed to get the serial gadget driver working with the isp116x_udc driver. The code is a mess and I will need a couple more days to clean things up before I can start serious testing. If anyone else is interested in helping with the testing effort I can give you what I've got. Alex

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Nonsense-Text with attached links to a shop qualify this as spam :mad:. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Today I managed to get the serial gadget driver working with the isp116x_udc driver. 

--- Quote End ---  

Great !Please keep us informed... I might be able to test this some day next year. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been trying to get the usb device driver for ISP1362 device controller which is on the DE2-70 board .I have not found ISP1362 device driver in /drivers/usb/gadget direct . give help to me !

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Today I managed to get the serial gadget driver working with the isp116x_udc driver. The code is a mess and I will need a couple more days to clean things up before I can start serious testing. If anyone else is interested in helping with the testing effort I can give you what I've got. Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

hello , do you do isp1362 device controller driver for usbslave side on de2-70 board to connect a pc? 

if you have done ,please give help to me!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello! 

I need connect de2-70 board to pc ! isp1362 is used as usb device controller ! 

I have used uClinux-dist-20070130 to run on de2-70 board ,but there is not isp1362 device controller driver in uClinux-dist / linux-2.6.x/usb/drivers/gadget! 

how will I do to make isp1362 as usb device work?  

please give me some tips ! 

0 Kudos