Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Vref power source?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I’m trying to decide if I can get away with a simple voltage divider for my vref pins. Any advice?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I’ve got some advice, use a regulated power supply, not a voltage divider. When you use a voltage divider, the resistors would have to be precisely matched and have a very tight tolerance. If they are not matched exactly, then your reference voltage may vary at the device input pin, and that will lead to signal level detection issues. It’s worth the extra money and board space if you want a robust interface.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We've successfully done both styles -- a dedicated vref supply, or a 1K pullup/pulldown on the VREF pins for that bank. This tends to be the individual designer's preference. Altera's Stratix II GX PCI Express dev kit board uses a regulator for generating VTT for a DDR2 interface and this regulator has a VREF output (TPS51100DGQ).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The VREF doesn't require much current so a voltage divider can work. Don't try using a voltage divider for VTT as these pins will require much more current during output buffer transitions.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Would anyone be concerned about VREF using a voltage divider? I would think the VREF could drift with a voltage divider causing marginal SI to be worse. Any comments?

0 Kudos