Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Location of code that runs on Nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

does anyone know where the code that runs on the nios is stored? I am wondering because I programmed my entire design into Flash about a week ago using the Flash Programmer in the Nios IDE. I have been trying to debug my design. I have been making small changes to my HDL, then I program the FPGA, then I run my software in the Nios IDE. This morning, I programmed the FPGA with a small change, but forgot to run the software in the Nios IDE. My design actually worked as expected when I did this.  

My primary question is, was I running the Nios code that I had stored in Flash a week ago? I would think that whenever I change the HDL design, I need to re-run the software, right? I haven't made any changes to my Nios, so maybe that is why the old software is still compatible? 

Any clarification would help. Thanks, 

-ninjaben
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you use the System ID to verfify that there is no change it will only be recognised if you change something in the sopc. The programm runs in the memory device you have specified the moment you compiled your design. You can look that up in the System Library in the NiosII IDE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think that the bootloader will check the system ID before running. 

If you have written the software to flash, it will be automatically loaded when you reconfigure the FPGA. If you want to prevent this you need to disable the bootloader or erase the flash.
0 Kudos