Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Quartus 7.1 Sp1 and DSPBuilder 7.1Sp1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo everyone, 

I have a problem with my Installation. I have installed Quartus 7.1 Sp1 and DSPBuilder 7.1Sp1.  

If I want compile any Example Model like "singen" an error occured. 

The SignalCompiler shows the following message: 

Created Quartus II Project C:\altera\71\quartus\dsp_builder\DesignExamples\Tutorials\GettingStartedSinMdl\singen_dspbuilder\singen.qpf 

Generating HDL 

Analyzing model... 

Matlab Error 

Java exception occurred:  

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: checkOut 

at com.altera.dspbuilder.portmanager.PortManager.checkOut(Native Method) 

at com.altera.dspbuilder.serialisation.ModelSerialiser.<init>(ModelSerialiser.java:88) 

Error during generation: Analyzing Error: See log for details. 

Has anyone an idea who is the problem? or where I can found the log file? 

So long  

Mario
0 Kudos
31 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like a faulty installation to me. You could try re-installing. 

Or you could check if your QUARTUS_ROOTDIR environment variable point to a directory containing a dsp_builder subdirectory? This needs to be set or it can't find its DLLs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And make sure you also install the IP files MegaWizard disk.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem, but a reinstalltion of all Altera software components (Quartus II 7.1 SP1, DSPBuilder 7.1SP1 and MegaCore 7.1SP1) does not solve it. 

Are there other issues that could cause this java exception? 

Thanks for your help, 

Bernhard
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the directory %QUARTUS_ROOTDIR%/dsp_builder/bin, there should be a file called PortManager.dll. Is this DLL there?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, the PortManager.dll is there. 

But it seems that the method CheckOut, which is a member of PortManager can not be excecuted/linked correctly.  

Are there different versions of PortManager.dll available or does PortManager.dll depend on some other files that are missing on my system? 

By the way: I am running the software on a Win2000 SP4 operating system. So could there be a problem that PortManager.dll depends on a missing OS dll?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes that sounds like the problem. 

The release notes for 7.1 state that it requires XP unfortunately. You can use depends from http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to find out what DLLs are missing. It's possible they can be installed onto your machine, but I really don't know.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DependancyWalker shows apphelp.dll is missing und some other problems with modules missing in system specific dlls. 

apphelp.dll is XP specific and also the other dlls can not be replaced. 

Therefore I guess it is not possible to run DSPBuilder with Win2000 ... :-( 

I always had in mind the Altera software would also support the Win2000 OS. Maybe thats wrong for DSPBuilder....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And of course you have MatLab / Simulink & ModelSim simulator installed as well.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you install Matlab/Simulink as "read-only"? If so, then it would prevent you from accessing its JAVA class, which DSP Builder needs... You can always try reinstalling Matlab/Simulink...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's already loaded its classes or he wouldn't have had a Java exception in the first place. (Look at the stack trace in the first post). It's highly unlikely to be anything to do with Matlab/Simulink, but is in fact because DSP Builder only supports Windows XP as is stated in the release notes.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having the same issue using Win2K. I've tried going back to versions 7.1 of everything. Using the FILEMON utility from the systeminternals folks shows a curious behavior. In the Signal Compiler/advanced interface hitting the 'Create Project' button works fine but the Synthesis button spawns a process that looks for a file quartus_sh.exe without success. It starts in the Matlab directory. I've had no useful suggestions from Altera's support people over the past 2 weeks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is quartus_sh on your path? Try starting a cmd window and just running the command. 

If not, does it work if you add %QUARTUS_ROOTDIR%/bin to your path?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Subsequent attempts with FILEMON shows Matlab finding quartus_sh.exe in the proper directory. Once the PortManager.dll is loaded things go south. The install DVD for version 7.1 seems to imply that the software is compatible with Window 2K.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having what seems to be exactly the same problem using Quartus II V7.2/DSP Builder V7.2 running under Windows XP Pro SP2. Matlab/Simulink is R2006A. I have checked off most of the suggestions in this thread.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you confirm that you've used DependencyWalker and apphelp.dll is not available?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Firstly, I do have Apphelp.dll available in C:\WINDOWS\system32. When I ran DependencyWalker on PortManager.dll, this produced a single message: "Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module." Evidently, this results from 'mpr.dll', which is buried 7 levels down in the call hierarchy. My problem, under WinXP, seems more basic. Yesterday I discovered that if I uninstall the Java runtime environment, Signal Compiler gives me exactly the same messages. It's as though the tool thinks that the JRE is missing altogether.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Java is provided along with MATLAB, so it doesn't matter whether you have it installed separately on your system. If the problem was that Java wasn't there, the Signal Compiler window would not appear. You're definitely getting the following error? : 

Java exception occurred: 

at com.altera.dspbuilder.serialisation.ModelSerialiser.<init>(ModelSerialiser.java:88) 

I also think the mpr.dll problem is a red herring since without it, I think your computer would have other problems - it seems to be quite important to Windows. Only other thing I can suggest is to check your MATLAB console window to see if there are any earlier error messages.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is everything I see in the Signal Compiler message window: 

Info: Generating HDL 

Info: Analyzing Simulink model 

Matlab Error 

Java exception occurred:  

at com.altera.dspbuilder.serialisation.ModelSerialiser.<init>(Unknown Source) 

Error: Error during compilation: Error: Error analyzing model see log for details. 

There are no messages from Matlab.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you tell me what happens when you type this command in the MATLAB console: 

java.lang.System.load( 'c:\altera\7.2\quartus\dsp_builder\bin\PortManager.dll'

where c:\altera\7.2\quartus should be replaced with the path to your quartus installation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I can't do this since I'm in the middle of upgrading to Matlab R2006b. Will post again with the result, good or bad.

0 Kudos