Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Synchronous Design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have got timing problems with a ACEX1K30 Design. To solve my problems I want to change my design in a synchronous design (only one global clock).  

Where can I find examples for synchronous designs?  

I use the Quartus (Web-Edition) graphical editor (no VHDL or HDL, sometimes AHDL). 

I have to realize: 

Eventcounter (up/down), Ratemultiplier, Frquency-Divider, Monoflop, Timer (Shiftregister), Data Register (from µC).
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest you google with the following words. 

Verilog Synchronous design 

or 

Vhdl Synchronous design 

This will provide much help for you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest you the vhdl instruction  

if clk'event and clk = 1 

the vhdl (or verilog) language guarantee to you about freedom degrees...some things with these graphical tools is much more complicate.... 

smile 

stefania:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Avatar, I will try but I think I will have problems with understanding VHDL or Verilog HDL.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Helmut, 

what kind of Problem you have? What forfrequencies are needed? Do you use you global the Clock Input?In my first Time i wrote also all in AHDL.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have got timing problems with a ACEX1K30 Design. 

--- Quote End ---  

Even if you're just starting out learning and not doing a design for actual hardware, it is best to use a modern device family. Some Quartus features are not available for old device families, so you won't be able to do everything you could do for an new real design using a recent (or at least more commonly used) device family. 

See related comments at "Altera Forums > General > General Altera Discussion > ACEX1k" (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457&highlight=acex1k). 

If I'm just experimenting and not doing something device-specific, I like to choose the smallest device in one of the Cyclone families for quick compile times.
0 Kudos