Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

Nios 8.0 web ed fails to initialize quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all. 

I have installed and licensed Quartus 8.0 with Modelsim Altera and Nios web edition on my 32-bit Vista notebook. Quartus runs ok but Nios 8.0 IDE still fails to initialize Quartus. It shows 3 bars and just hangs there. I had this same problem with version 7.2 and was suggested it was Vista related. But now I have downloaded version 8.0 which claims to be compatible with Vista but I still have the same problem. What else can be wrong? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

lol... I had so much problems with getting the board/Quartus/Nios to work with Vista, I just put it aside for months and continued with other parts of my courses. I am an absolute beginner to start with. It was so difficult getting it to work with Vista that I was just put off.  

It's now a few months after and I am braving myself to pick up the FPGA board again and to my surprise, it now works with Vista using the same software versions.  

I was given a patch to work with Quartus 7.2 from the mysupport/altera. Tried it but it failed. Tried Quartus/Nios 8 still failed. I think it has something to do with Vista not releasing services at the background even though I had uninstalled it. Even though I had given the system new licenses/patch etc it was still recognizing the old drivers. I tried to clean my system to the point my system crashed :mad: !!! Newbie in Vista, newbie in everything :o . I think it works now because I have totally reformatted my Vista machine and all is clear. It was a good thing I didn't throw the board out of the window. 

I am now using Quartus 7.2 with the patch on Vista. So far it's working well through the first few tutorials and exercises. I guess Vista doesn't like mistakes in the sequence of installing patches and drivers. 

Any word of caution for me? Will there still be future Vista related frustrations?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dump Vista - Use XP.

0 Kudos