FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5932 Discussions

change logic cell to memory M4K in cylocne 2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How I can say to Quartus 2 (7.2), to replace logic cells to memory blocks M4K in Cyclone 2 device?  

I would like to implement following array with memory M4K and not LC 

type CoefArrType is array(0 to tapLen + 0 -1) of signed(coefBitWidth-1 downto 0); 

Thanx,  

Pita
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I wonder how you achieved to make Quartus use LC for a the signal array? Most likely you have multiple accesses to the signal in your code or are assigning the address expression outside a clock synchronous process. You should consider the limitations of internal RAM hardware.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanx a lot for replay. This code is generated by Synplicity DSP... 

Below is example of accessing to signal multBufs1. 

CoefArr <= CoefArrTemp; 

multInp <= signed(inp); 

rstBuf <= '0'; 

enBuf <= '1'; 

outp <= std_logic_vector(sumOut); 

floop: for i in 1 to tapLen-1 generate 

multBufs1(i) <= syn_resize(Shift_Right(mem(i*4-1) * CoefArr(i), 

(coefFrac+inpFrac-dpFrac)), dpBitWidth); 

end generate; 

multBufs1(0) <= syn_resize(Shift_Right(multInp * CoefArr(0), 

(coefFrac+inpFrac-dpFrac)), dpBitWidth); 

gloop: for i in 0 to numfourAdders-1 generate 

sumFLOuts(i) <= signed(syn_resize(multBufs1(i*4) +multBufs1(i*4+1)+multBufs1(i*4+2)+multBufs1(i*4+3), outBitWidth)); 

sumFLOutsDelayed(i) <= signed(sumFLOuts(i)); 

end generate; 

sumFLOuts(numfourAdders) <= multBufs1(numfourAdders*4) ; 

sumFLOutsDelayed(25) <= signed(sumFLOuts(25)); 

sumOut <= sumFLOutsDelayed(0) + sumFLOutsDelayed(1) + sumFLOutsDelayed(2) + sumFLOutsDelayed(3) + sumFLOutsDelayed(4) + sumFLOutsDelayed(5) + sumFLOutsDelayed(6) + sumFLOutsDelayed(7) + sumFLOutsDelayed(8) + sumFLOutsDelayed(9) + sumFLOutsDelayed(10) + sumFLOutsDelayed(11) + sumFLOutsDelayed(12) + sumFLOutsDelayed(13) + sumFLOutsDelayed(14) + sumFLOutsDelayed(15) + sumFLOutsDelayed(16) + sumFLOutsDelayed(17) + sumFLOutsDelayed(18) + sumFLOutsDelayed(19) + sumFLOutsDelayed(20) + sumFLOutsDelayed(21) + sumFLOutsDelayed(22) + sumFLOutsDelayed(23) + sumFLOutsDelayed(24) + sumFLOutsDelayed(25);
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

it's clear to me, that in this case coefarr can't be inferred as internal RAM, cause the array elements are accessed simultanously. RAM storage locations can only be accessed sequentially, one address each clock cycle. E. g. with fast FIR filters, where all coefficients must be accessed each clock cycle, RAM can't be used. You can consult the Altera FIR compiler manual or evaluate by creating a filter design for trial, how Altera FIR filter tools manages coefficient storage. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos