Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

Power Usage and Signal Activity File limitations

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

Currently having a duration issue in simulation in Quartus II 7.2 Full. 

I have developed a module that works on a large number of pixels, computing a running sum and doing a division at the very end. My question is in regards to power usage using PowerPlay Tool, I can set my duration to a large range in my input waveform (29.1 mS), and I can also generate a signal activity file (.saf) on the same exact range, but when I load that .saf file into PowerPlay Tool, it gives me the same power usage whether I include the division or not in the range (it is far lower than it should be - indicating that it is only analyzing a tiny part of the beginning of the range). 

Essentially, I've come to the conclusion that the PowerPlay tool OR the signal file is not accepting the actual range I give it (although it shows no warning or errors, and the value is left intact after entering it). 

Has anyone had issues with range of simulation and power analysis? Does anyone know how to accurately do Power Analysis on a waveform larger than a few hundred nS? Ideally id like to analyze a few (30 or so) mS. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
0 Replies