Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

ADC0848 interface with MAX EPM7128S

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how to connect these two component together? 

how to program it using VHDL?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What are Your design requirements? What is going to be the function of the EPM?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

have to convert voltage to digital signal and send it into MAX7128S!!! 

i connect voltage difference to channel 1 and 2 on ADC0848 then convert it to digital signal! 

there are some control pins on ADC0848! 

how to program the ADC0848 using VHDL let it functionaliy???? 

and how to convert automatically when got difference of voltage send in to channel 1 and 2 pins??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know that You will be converting Analog signals into the digital domain: I guess this is why You are using the ADC!!! 

My question was trying to understand more design specific requirements like: 

1. what is going to be Your sampling rate; 

2. Is the EPM going to be connected to an other device (processor or other CPLD)? 

3. Are You going to process the digital samples within the EPM or are You going to use it only as a controller for the ADC? 

The concer that I have is, that after revieweing the Datasheet, I am afraid that You will be seriously limited by the CPLD resources in being able to istanciate a State Machine which will cover all the possible operating conditions of the ADC. 

This is the reason for my questions in the previous message and in this one. 

In any case, a Finite State Machine is the best approach for controlling the ADC; there are samples on the ALTERA web sites and there is a lots of documentation that shows You how to make a FSM in VHDL. My recommendation is that You take those as samples and built the controller in the EPM initially with limited capabilities and improve it to verify that the design will fit in the EPM7128. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

actually the analogue signal that wil be converter is measured from a wheastone bridge circuit! but i don't confirm what is going to my sampling rate! can u help me to determine? 

The MAX EPM7128S is a controller that to controll the ADC0848! 

After convert the digital signal will be program into analogue signal and send out to seven segments display! 

Vref=5V, and Vcc=5V 

There are ADC0848 data sheet in file 64255.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Looking at the datasheet the fastest you can go is 25Ksamples per sec(conversion time is 50 us). 

Armando has given a nice sugestion to use FSM. 

Well yo decide for yourself at what rate you want the conversion to take place.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you for your help

0 Kudos