Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Begin with nios by writing on a lcd

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

i'm a newbie with the utilisation of sopc and how nios II processor works 

to begin, i would like to make a project with this simple goal for moment: 

use SOPC to create my own architecture with a nios processor, this one should then be able to write something on the character lcd 

i'm working with this dev card : cyclone III FPGA development kit wih the EP3C120F780C7N (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3.html

for information, i made a tutorial for blinking leds, but don't find (for moment) something to help me 

any help or advice is greatly appreciate 

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi 

i've successfully write on my character lcd, and use different pio for controling some vhdl functions around to count some frame and display the count value in the lcd 

now, i would like to control a memory to store pixels values inside it and then make the nios processor able to read these values 

i heard about the dma but haven't yet understtod how to use for controling an external memory as a SRAM one 

any idea how to do ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can someone answer me this question please : 

when i create an array in Nios II IDE, where is this array ? i mean which part of my board store this array : onchip_memory ? the program memory ? the read-only data memory ? the read/write data memory ? the heap memory ? or the stack memory ? 

thanks for any answers
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you create an uninitialized static array, it will be put in the .bss section (I guess it is what you call the "read/write" data memory). 

If you create an initialized static array, it will be put in the .data section. 

If you create it as a local variable in a function it will be in the stack memory. 

If you allocate it with malloc() (C) or new (C++) it will go in the heap memory.
0 Kudos