Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Constraining PLL output clocks

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I was wondering how I am supposed to go about constraining the output clock(s) of a PLL. I have tried using the generated clock command but using this my design fails timing analysis. Is there a different command to be used, or are there additional conditions needed? Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use derive_pll_clocks. It creates the generated clocks for the PLL outputs. "derive_pll_clocks -create_base_clocks" will also do the create_clock for the PLL input for you. 

If you prefer to create the generated clocks yourself--for example, so that you can choose the clock names--then start with derive_pll_clocks. After you see the create_generated_clock commands it provides, you can put those into your .sdc file and change the clock names.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So does derive_pll_clocks take care of both the input and output of the pll? Must I do anything additional to relate the source clock to the pll? Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So does derive_pll_clocks take care of both the input and output of the pll? Must I do anything additional to relate the source clock to the pll? Thanks for the reply. 

--- Quote End ---  

As I said, "derive_pll_clocks -create_base_clocks" will also do the create_clock for the PLL input for you. The -create_base_clocks argument is optional; you can do the create_clock for the PLL input yourself if you prefer. 

By the way, don't use the -use_tan_name argument. It creates clock names similar to those created by the Classic Timing Analyzer. If you are using strictly TimeQuest and want to use derive_pll_clocks (which I recommend), then stick with the TimeQuest naming convention. 

derive_pll_clocks will produce an "Info: Deriving PLL Clocks" message. The submessages will list the create_generated_clock commands and the optional create_clock command. As I said before, you can put these into your .sdc file instead of derive_pll_clocks if you want to use different clock names. If you don't leave derive_pll_clocks in your .sdc file, however, then be especially careful to watch for a PLL cross checking warning or to run check_timing and review the pll_cross_check result. 

From the on-line help: 

--- Quote Start ---  

derive_pll_clocks 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The following table displays information for the derive_pll_clocks Tcl command: 

tcl package and version 

Belongs to ::quartus::sdc_ext 1.0  

syntax 

derive_pll_clocks [-h | -help] [-long_help] [-create_base_clocks] [-use_tan_name]  

arguments 

-h | -help 

Short help 

-long_help 

Long help with examples and possible return values 

-create_base_clocks 

creates base clocks on input clock ports of the design that are feeding the pll 

-use_tan_name 

Use net names as clock names 

description 

Identifies PLLs or similar resources in the design and creates 

generated clocks for their output clock pins. Multiple generated 

clocks may be created for each output clock pin if the PLL is using 

clock switchover, one for the inclk[0] input clock pin and one for the 

inclk[1] input clock pin. 

by default this command does not create base clocks on input clock 

ports that are driving the pll. when you use the create_base_clocks 

option, derive_pll_clocks also creates the base clock on an input 

clock port deriving the pll. This option does not overwrite an 

existing clock. 

By default the clock name is the same as the output clock pin name. 

To use the net name (the same name the classic Timing Analyzer would 

use), use the -use_tan_name option. 

example usage 

project_open top 

create_timing_netlist 

# Create the base clock for the input clock port driving the PLL 

create_clock -period 10.0 [get_ports sysclk] 

# Create the generated clocks for the PLL. 

derive_pll_clocks 

update_timing_netlist 

# Other user actions 

report_timing 

delete_timing_netlist 

project_close 

return value 

Code Name Code String Return  

TCL_OK 0 INFO: Operation successful  

TCL_ERROR 1 ERROR: Timing netlist does not exist. Use create_timing_netlist to create a timing netlist. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think I follow this time. Thanks.

0 Kudos