FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5936 Discussions

DE1-SoC Dev Kit (Trouble w/ USB Blaster II) (CentOS7)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've just installed Quartus 16.1 Lite on CentOS7 x64 which is running inside VmWare Player as a VM. I can start up Quartus just fine. However, I'm having a rough time setting up USB Blaster II. I've used the following link in trying to setup USB Blaster but I'm lost on whether I'm missing any steps. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/drivers/dri-usb_b-lnx.html  

I configured this 51-usbblaster.rules file in the "/etc/udev/rules.d/" directory. The 51-usbblaster.rules files wasn't there to begin with so I just created it. There was no indication in the above link saying what to do if the file is not there. Therefore, I just assumed I should create it. I created it and added the entries that the link told me to. I followed the RedHat Linux Enterprise 5 section in that link because I didn't see a CentOS7 section of steps. The image attachment "rulesFile.png" shows what I have done. 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14101&stc=1  

(SEE ATTACHMENT "RULESFILE.PNG) 

I can also see there are some driver files from when I installed Quartus but I'm not sure they are related to the USB Blaster II. The driver files are shown in the attachment "driverLocation.png". I haven't found any documentation or tutorial or link telling me how to run these driver installs I'm seeing so for now I haven't touched any of the executables in that directory. These executables can be seen in the attachment below. 

(SEE ATTACHMENT "DRIVERLOCATION.PNG") 

After create that file above I started up Quartus went into Tools->Programmer->Hardware Setup and tried to select an option for USB Blaster II but there is nothing there. How should I proceed. Are there any other essential drivers I should install to run Quartus? This "Getting Started with SocKit board" pdf mentions something about a FPGA SRAM Object File. Do I need to download that as well? 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14100&stc=1
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've just installed Quartus 16.1 Lite on CentOS7 x64 which is running inside VmWare Player as a VM. I can start up Quartus just fine. However, I'm having a rough time setting up USB Blaster II. I've used the following link in trying to setup USB Blaster but I'm lost on whether I'm missing any steps. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/drivers/dri-usb_b-lnx.html  

I configured this 51-usbblaster.rules file in the "/etc/udev/rules.d/" directory. The 51-usbblaster.rules files wasn't there to begin with so I just created it. There was no indication in the above link saying what to do if the file is not there. Therefore, I just assumed I should create it. I created it and added the entries that the link told me to. I followed the RedHat Linux Enterprise 5 section in that link because I didn't see a CentOS7 section of steps. The image attachment "rulesFile.png" shows what I have done. 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14101&stc=1  

(SEE ATTACHMENT "RULESFILE.PNG) 

I can also see there are some driver files from when I installed Quartus but I'm not sure they are related to the USB Blaster II. The driver files are shown in the attachment "driverLocation.png". I haven't found any documentation or tutorial or link telling me how to run these driver installs I'm seeing so for now I haven't touched any of the executables in that directory. These executables can be seen in the attachment below. 

(SEE ATTACHMENT "DRIVERLOCATION.PNG") 

After create that file above I started up Quartus went into Tools->Programmer->Hardware Setup and tried to select an option for USB Blaster II but there is nothing there. How should I proceed. Are there any other essential drivers I should install to run Quartus? This "Getting Started with SocKit board" pdf mentions something about a FPGA SRAM Object File. Do I need to download that as well? 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14100&stc=1  

--- Quote End ---  

I had a similar problem. 

My System: 

Opensuse Leap 42.3, Terasic DE1-SoC (embedded Altera USB Blaster II), Quartus 16.1 

My solution: 

create file "/etc/udev/rules.d/51-usbblaster.rules" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

# Altera USB-Blaster II rule to set mode to 666. 

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTR{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666" 

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTR{idProduct}=="6810", MODE="0666" 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

and reload rules: 

>sudo udevadm control --reload-rules 

and reconnect usb blaster 

If it doesn't work for your system read "Dynamic Kernel Device Management with udev" Documentation of your system. 

Another way(manually) 

Get busnumber and devicenumer: 

>dmesg -w 

[ 3464.664143] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci 

[ 3464.756559] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=09fb, idProduct=6810 

[ 3464.756562] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0 

or with lsusb 

>lsusb 

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 09fb:6810 Altera  

You should find device under /dev/bus/usb/busnumber/devicenumber 

>ls -la /dev/bus/usb/001/004 

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 189, 3 27. Sep 18:28 /dev/bus/usb/001/004 

Check rights. 

If you don't have "write" rights it doesn't work. You can change rights manually for first tests or change udev rule(see above) 

manually: 

if it looks like this: 

>ls -la /dev/bus/usb/001/008 

crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 7 27. Sep 18:45 /dev/bus/usb/001/008 

change rights manually: 

>sudo chmod 0666 /dev/bus/usb/001/008 

>ls -la /dev/bus/usb/001/008 

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 189, 7 27. Sep 18:45 /dev/bus/usb/001/008 

Start Quartus and then tools->programmer 

you see new messages on dmesg: 

[ 4687.658647] usb 1-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 8 

[ 4689.392249] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci 

[ 4689.501222] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=09fb, idProduct=6010 

[ 4689.501226] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3 

[ 4689.501227] usb 1-1.5: Product: DE-SoC 

[ 4689.501228] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Altera 

[ 4689.501229] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: DE-SoC-001-12514 

check rights for new device 

>ls -la /dev/bus/usb/001/009 

crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 8 27. Sep 18:48 /dev/bus/usb/001/009 

>sudo chmod 0666 /dev/bus/usb/001/009 

>ls -la /dev/bus/usb/001/009 

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 189, 8 27. Sep 18:48 /dev/bus/usb/001/009 

After you changed rights: Press button "Hardware Setup" in Quartus Programmer. 

Change "currently selected Hardware" to "DE-SoC[1-1.5]" on Pull Down. 

Name could be different (other USB Port or other hardware). Press "Close" 

Now it should work. 

other useful commands: 

udevadm monitor 

or udevadm monitor --env
0 Kudos