Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20685 Discussions

Daisy Chain

ValentinD5
Beginner

Hey there,

Need some help with my setup because I am very frustrated 😞

Laptop - FUJITSU LIFEBOOK E754

Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-4310M CPU @ 2.70GHz
Graphics - Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Connections - DP, HDMI

Monitors - Fujitsu P24-8 WS Pro

The problem I am facing is the following. If I connect my laptop via HDMI to one monitor and DP to the other only one of them works.

If I connect the monitors via DP only - Laptop to monitor 1 and monitor 1 to monitor 2, in that case, the monitors get mirrored. 

Now the monitors have a function - DAISY CHAIN which I suppose I should turn on. When I turn it on the laptop does recognize them as 2 separate monitors and it does have even a separate menu where it says I can connect up to 3 monitors, HOWEVER, the monitors show NO SIGNAL. 

I have been browsing the internet all day for 2 days I have no idea why this is happening. The first issue I suppose the video card can not separate the signal into 2 places DP and HDMI. But the second is just crazy because the monitors work if I don't put the Daisy chain but they are mirrored and when I put it on they go off but the laptop does recognise them then. 

Please help if you can explain what can be done or if I need something else for this setup

Files attached to see what it shows me

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ValentinD5
Beginner

I forgot to mention I have the latest drivers running. I am using the Intel drivers assistant, I have also went to the device manager to check the drivers for the monitors and it says they are the latest and functioning perfectly.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
First of all, I don't see why using the separate DP and HDMI monitors is not working; it should.
Second, when using only the DP port, that DAISY CHAIN function is only enabled in the first monitor, right? I can see the possibility of issues if it is enabled in the second monitor.
...S
0 Kudos
ValentinD5
Beginner
Hey there, 

So I got a response from Fujitsu and apparently to use 2 monitors not mirrored you need a docking station. Idk why you make a laptop with 3 different inputs which you can use only 1 at a time 😅

Regarding the Daisy chain yes it’s only enabled on the first monitor. I have tried turning it on, on the second and the monitor starts to just go on and off and have that old tv vibe or when you have a faulty cable. 

I wanted to ask does the cable make any difference because it makes no sense for the monitor not to turn on because the laptop does recognise them as 1-2-3 but the monitor says no signal. I just don’t understand is it there a driver or whatever that could help. That’s why I texted here to see what we can do about it and if someone knows. I’ve read the whole web I have no idea what the issue could be 😥

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

DP cables can make a definite difference. The problem is that HBR and HBR2 cables are often labelled the exact same way (i.e., standard DisplayPort cable) and you likely need a HBR2 cable for at least the first segment. This is discussed in the Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort.

Another option you could try (grasping at straws) is using a Multi-Stream Transport (MST) Hub. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-Port-DisplayPort-MST-Hub/dp/B00XXPYGPO. I don't honestly know if this will make a difference.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ValentinD5
Beginner

Hey Mate,

Thank you again I understand now more. 60 bucks is not that expensive actually I was looking at the docks and they were 200 300 and that's like a new monitor. Just to confirm this is for expanding the monitors not mirroring?

I will close this after your reply and also try to get a cable with HBR2 it might fix it ! 

Thanks again so much for your cooperation 

0 Kudos