Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

Still cannot instal latest Arc Graphics Driver -- lose graphics display

kmharring
Novice

In the last few weeks I posted about a problem I am having updating my Arc Graphics driver for Windows. A moderator responded to me on the following thread, but the fixes suggested did not work. Cannot install latest Arc driver version -- lose display function 

I used the suggested DDU and then attempted manually installing the driver update with a clean installation. I also turned my firewall off incase that was somehow interfering. The result was the same: when the installer gets to the point where it says it is installing the new driver, the screen goes black and then stays black. On reboot there is then no display and I have to restart to a system restore point. 

What should I do next? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kmharring
Novice

UPDATE and Solution: There was apparently just a compatibility issue between the 31.0.101.5333 version of the driver and Windows 11. I just installed the latest release which came out today (31.0.101.5379) and had no issue with the installation. Thank you for releasing this update! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kmharring
Novice

Update: I saw a YouTube video saying it might help to install the driver in Safe Mode. So I went into safe mode, ran the DDU, then ran the installer for the latest Arc driver for Windows. The installation went fine, and was able to complete in safe mode. I checked the device manager and saw that the correct updated driver was installed. However, when I restarted the computer in normal mode I ran into the same problem -- I hear the windows start tone and then there's no display. Just a black screen. 

So we know that the driver will work in safe mode but not in normal mode. Does that tell us anything?

0 Kudos
kmharring
Novice

I just found this thread with others reporting that they are having similar problems with the latest generic Arc driver not working with the same GPU. Looks like this won't be solved until Dell creates a customization?? https://community.intel.com/t5/GPU-Compute-Software/Latest-Intel-Graphics-drivers-above-31-0-101-4955-do-not-work/m-p/1575676

0 Kudos
kmharring
Novice

UPDATE and Solution: There was apparently just a compatibility issue between the 31.0.101.5333 version of the driver and Windows 11. I just installed the latest release which came out today (31.0.101.5379) and had no issue with the installation. Thank you for releasing this update! 

0 Kudos
Nortonis
Beginner

I have this problem with my Asus Vivobook Pro.

I can not install a new driver, even the latest ones that are out now that someone is telling now works.

The only driver i can use is the one that windows 11 install by itself, from 2023.

My screen locks up, and i have to connect a second monitor to the HDMI.

Whatever i try to do, safe mode, uninstall driver and clean via display driver uninstaller.

Trying to go into multiple monitor to select only monitor on my laptop, then it hangs and i have to wait 10 sec until it returns.

There is no way for me to use newer drivers without only using it on and second monitor.

Please help me fix this

0 Kudos
strangerX1
New Contributor I

I have the same issue. You can actually still make it to finish installing driver either by connecting to external monitor during installation or by pushing Win+Ctr+Shift+B which restarts display driver.

However on restart issue is appearing again even on latest 31.0.101.5379 driver.

For now I had to rollback to 31.0.101.5252 last one working fine...

0 Kudos
Nortonis
Beginner

Yeah it has been like this for many driver versions now, i keep updating and trying again when i see an update, but still the same problem.

It is sad to see Intel is not able to fix this, so we are stuck on an older driver.