Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20640 Discussions

Virtual memory is @ 100% if i run a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution!

JWese
Beginner

Hey ho,

Two weeks ago i'v re installed my computer. Before one week i re-installed Battlefield 4 and i startet playing. I noticed a error message that told me that there is not enough memory is available. I'v never had this error before. After 2 weeks of testing and finding the problem i noticed that everytime i run a game at another resolution than my desktop resolution my virtual memory is linea filling up to 100%. After it reaches the 100% mark, the Windows Error message shows up and it wants me to close the game that i'm playing. If i run the game at the same resolution than the desktop resolution or in windowed mod this doesnt happen. If i switch back to the desktop, the virtuel memory is will be cleared again.

What i'v already tried:

• Re-installed DirectX
  • Repaire Visual Studio 2013
  • Cleaned and re-installed Nvidia and Intel HD drivers
  • Used a old version of Nvidia drivers
  • Used a old version of Intel HD drivers
  • Re-installed Windows 8 Intel chipset drivers and sata
  • Different amounts of virtual memory
  • Moved the virtual memory from sdd to hdd
  • Checkdisc
  • Re-installed the games
  • Checked memory usage and programms
  • De-installed Avira AntiVir
  • Re-installed Windows 8.1

My system

• Intel i7-3610QM
  • 8,00 GB - 1600MHz
  • 120 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Nvidia Geforce GT650M - 2 G
  • Intel HD 4000 - 256 MB
  • Asus N76VZ Notebook
  • Virtual memory on SSD 8 GB to 16 GB
  • Windows 8.1 64x
  • Avira AntiVir
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Here is the latest forum post from Microsoft* regarding this issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/error-when-running-games-your-computer-is-low-on/eb9ea944-bc56-435a-b89f-f7752d11a091 Error when running games: "Your computer is low on memory. - Microsoft Community

Per Jonas:

Solution:

1. Right-click the start orb, and open 'Control Panel'
  2. Open 'Windows Update' and check for new 'Windows Updates'.
  3. If there are no new 'Windows Updates', verify that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us 'August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2975719)' is installed by clicking on 'View Update History'.

The actual Windows Update or hotfix that fixes this bug is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us KB2976943.

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
94 Replies
JDani8
Beginner

Kevin,

Do you have any more information on this issue? I spent several hours on the phone with Microsoft this weekend looking for an update on this issue. The service reps insisted on connecting to my computer and reinstalling every driver they could get their hands on, and we all know that doesn't fix the issue. No one had any idea what I was talking about, even after I sent them links to this forum. In the end, they insisted that I tell Dell to replace my system, since it must be a hardware problem with my RAM. "Sometimes," they told me, "hardware diagnostics don't catch problems with the hardware."

Is there any kind of case number or something we can check for? Do you have any more information at all? We'd really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

Jesus Christ, replace your system? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and it's from Microsoft. Why do they give responses like that? IT'S AN OS BUG FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, I'm having this issue, everyone in this topic is having it.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

From our side, we can provide the graphics driver but since the problem is related to a Operating System bug there is not much we can do. We have checked with Microsoft and we have confirmed with them that this issue is an Operating System bug and they are working to fix this.

What I recommend is to contact Microsoft and try to get the higher level of support, Maybe first level of support is not aware of this issue.

0 Kudos
JDani8
Beginner

Kevin,

Is there any more information you can provide to us? Since your post last friday, I've spent over 25 hours on the phone with 11 Microsoft representatives. I've spoken to first level support, their managers, and even their managers. There seems to be no record of this problem. All anybody wants to do is connect to my computer to check and reinstall my drivers (after the 4th person, I stopped letting them).

This kind of support is absolutely unacceptable. Is there a case number or any other way do direct Microsoft to the documentation of the problem? Your customers NEED to be kept in the loop. Some of us have been battling with this issue for more than 6 months, and as of now, there's no end in sight.

Thank you for your continued support with this issue

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

It is unbelievable to me that after 5+ months we have Intel pointing its finger at Microsoft without giving a link or case number, and Microsoft saying dunno what you're talking about, replace your hardware. There are 120+ posts about this bug at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8 Windows 8.1 x64 - Low memory while playing full screen games - Microsoft Community, plus several other threads out there. That makes hundreds of users reporting it, plus presumably many times more who either are lurking or haven't tracked down the threads. My own laptop has been crashing every couple of days since it auto-upgraded to Win8.1, unless I carefully avoid ever maximizing a window, and I don't even play games.

Quite possibly Windows has a bug it should fix, and Intel could work around it like other driver manufacturers but hasn't bothered. Blaming a lower-level bug instead of providing a workaround is a classic thing companies do when they're run by techies who don't understand customer service.

This is the worst-handled bug I've seen in my 20+ years in tech.

PS I'd like to add my thanks to users like ewtaylo who've sunk a lot of time into tracking down the root cause, explaining it to the rest of us, and following up with MS/Intel. You guys are the one uplifting twist to this woeful tale!

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

Can I be honest with you and even Intel? I just don't buy it. If it was an OS bug, don't you think EVERYONE would be complaining on this? Instead, NVIDIA and AMD/ATI users aren't, only Intel HD Graphics are. It's a bug known to affect 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation processor graphics, and by installing an older driver, problem doesn't exist...

really now? Get it together please. This doesn't make any sense to me. Why hasn't Microsoft spread a word about this? Why don't you guys give us updates? If newest versions of your drivers generate this problem, then obviously something actually went with the drivers updates. I just don't know what to believe anymore. Please be so kind and only answer if you have irrefutable proof that this bug is an OS bug.

0 Kudos
ETayl
Beginner

@Kevin-

Can you make any comments on the pressure that Intel is applying to Microsoft to get this bug fixed? Their bug is making your graphics drivers look pathetic. If we accept that HD3000, HD4000 and HD4400/4600 users are all in the same boat at least the HD3000 and HD4000 users can utilize older drivers. Granted they suffer from other issues but at least they can run for more than 10 minutes without seeing a low memory dialog.

There is not a single end user in existence that can run windows 8.1, HD4400/4600 graphics and a full screen program (this bug is not only a game thing) if their desktop resolution/frequency does not exactly match their full screen program resolution. Period.

With Intel passing the issue to Microsoft and Microsoft not even acknowledging that there is an issue, this seems like a situation where nothing gets done to resolve the issue and a whole generation of Intel graphics users are left out in the cold.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

First, I want to thank you all for your effort to isolate this issue and drive for a resolution.

This issue is currently being root caused for resolution. The issue is complicated and is requiring significant development effort to resolve. Unfortunately I cannot give specific information regarding the state of the investigation due to third party involvement. However, when I do have authorization to provide that information, I will. Please be assured your voice has been heard and the issue will be resolved.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
RKreb
Beginner

Hey, how long have we still to wait? I am very disappointed. First you say the bug is in your driver.

Now you point to Microsoft. Please work together and solve finally the bug!!

0 Kudos
JWese
Beginner

Can i upgrade to the latest driver from last moth or is it still buggy?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ray,

Please note that Microsoft has acknowledged it is a problem from their side and it is not related to our graphics driver. In this case, it will be necessary to wait until Microsoft come up with their fix. I would recommend you checking the post provided by Robert_U on reply # 50.

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

Hello. v15.33.22.64.3621 has been released. Has anyone tried yet?

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

Yes and it doesn't change anything the problem still exists

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

We've all seen it -.- do you honestly believe that Microsoft's solutions really serve us as such?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Here is the latest forum post from Microsoft* regarding this issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/error-when-running-games-your-computer-is-low-on/eb9ea944-bc56-435a-b89f-f7752d11a091 Error when running games: "Your computer is low on memory. - Microsoft Community

Per Jonas:

Solution:

1. Right-click the start orb, and open 'Control Panel'
  2. Open 'Windows Update' and check for new 'Windows Updates'.
  3. If there are no new 'Windows Updates', verify that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us 'August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2975719)' is installed by clicking on 'View Update History'.

The actual Windows Update or hotfix that fixes this bug is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us KB2976943.

Regards

Robert

0 Kudos
RHoga3
Beginner

Except apparently this doesn't fix the problem completely (as many others have stated) There are also people on the MS forums still having issues too!

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

since today's windows update the problem happens much less often, can you confirm?

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

Hello. Can you please specify which update solves the problem? Thanks.

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

sorry xtridgaf, I thought it was solved because I could play for 2 hours straight in a different resolution without problem, but then I got the error again

I installed more than 10 updates, I can't remember which one. The problem seem to happen less often for me but I need to make more tests.

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

I can't officially confirm anything, but my system commit has stayed healthy since my latest Windows auto-update 36 hours ago. As soon as I updated I maximized a few windows, because that always used to produce the bug within a few hours. (I'm not a gamer but this bug had made my Acer Aspire S7-392 borderline unusable for months.) So, tentatively looking good. If I had to guess which of the software updates did it I'd pick the following, though this is just my guess and other updates in the same batch may be required too.

Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

0 Kudos